"Theater is a verb before it is a noun, an act before it is a place."
-Martha Graham

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Weekend Update - November 9th

Much theatre. Very arts. So wow. What a wonderful week it has been. I can't believe that I am living the life of luxury still in London. To be honest, I'm surprised that the UK hasn't kicked me out yet because I'm basically broke. Anyway... it has been a fantastic week of stress, learning, shows, and all the other things that have been blowing up my blog as of late. It's weird to think that I'll be leaving here in about a month just as I finally feel like I am adjusted to life in London. There are still so many things that I want to do before I leave!!! I don't think I'll be able to see it all and do it all before I leave, but I know I'll be back at some point in my life. Can you apply unemployment checks to international airfare?? I hope so... 

Monday- 
Today I saw the worst play that I have ever seen. I'm not kidding. I would have rather sat through a middle school production of Into the Woods than have to be anywhere near this production ever again. It was a production of Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard. I love the Cherry Orchard and feel like it is a show that CAN BE well done. This production did not do that at all. It was the most miscast and poorly directed show that I have ever seen. -200/10. Do not recommend. 

Wednesday- 
I went to the Royal Opera House to see a quadruple bill of works by famed Royal Ballet choreographer Frederick Ashton. This show was such a rare performance to see as many of his works are not done outside of the UK. It was very inspiring to see these works, and I left the theatre feeling ready to get back into dance. 

Friday-
After staying up super late the night before to turn in a 17 page hand-written autobiography of my character for acting class, I figured it was good to just go see a show. Sooooo I did. I saw Kristen Scott Thomas in a production of Sophocles' Electra which was really good. It is one the only productions of a Greek tragedy that I have just seen done straight, which was a welcome change. 

Saturday- 
Busy busy busy living that young London life. Today we went to the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, and the Bond in Motion exhibit at the London film museum. So much culture to take in. So little time. It was nice to revisit the National Gallery and see some of the other works that I missed last time. In addition, the National Portrait Gallery has some beautiful portraits of all the English monarchs. The Bond in Motion exhibit had a collection of a bunch of the James Bond cars, motorcycles, subs, and the like that were used in Bond movies through the years. 
As seen in Skyfall
To top it all off, I went to the Royal Ballet AGAIN to see 3 contemporary works. I was literally living the life of a millionaire this week. I was super surprised to get to the theatre and find out that my seat was in the stalls and not actually in the peasant nose-bleed section for once. 


Sunday-
Today I had to go visit Hamstead Heath for my acting scene with my scene partner. Hamstead Heath is a HUGE park that is a green paradise in the middle of a huge city. I thought it would just be a little patch of green, but it was actually an enormous green space that took about 30 minutes to walk one side to another. Our task was to go and play hide and seek in the park and then visit the Kenwood house to pick our favorite painting. Wow, acting homework is so difficult.... It was a great excuse to spend a whole day in a green paradise that looked like something out of a fairytale book. To add to the awesomeness, we went to a Hungarian tea room to get tea and cakes. I can die happy having Dobos Torte- 7 layers of spongecake and chocolate buttercream topped off with caramel. MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Now it's time to get back to reality and do homework...rip. 
The Kenwood House
 This week will hopefully not be so exhausting. I have 2 final showings tomorrow, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the work load. It should be an interesting week. Over and out, y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment